Thursday, March 06, 2008

Lessons for the Week (Mar. 7)

Pride and Humility
Pride leads to destruction, and arrogance to downfall. (Proverbs 16:18)

Getting Started

What is something you are proud of?

When someone gives you a compliment, how do you usually respond?

Pride is an interesting subject. It can have good meanings and bad meanings. If somebody says, “I take pride in my work,” or “I’m so proud of my children” – these are usually good things. But the Bible has many strong warnings against pride. In fact, the Bible says that pride is the beginning of destruction (Proverbs 18:12). How can we be confident without being proud? How can we be humble and still be strong?

Vocabulary
compliment (n) – an expression of praise or respect
take pride in (v. phr.) – to take great care; to want to do one’s best
destruction (n) – ruin; condition of being destroyed
humble (adj) – Not proud; to not think you are better than others
garment (n) – a piece of clothing
disciple (n) – student and follower of Jesus
put (something) into practice (v. phr.) – to do something you have learnedarrogance (n) – overly proud


Reading God’s Word
John 13:3-17
3 Jesus knew that the Father had given him complete power; he knew that he had come from God and was going to God. 4 So he rose from the table, took off his outer garment, and tied a towel around his waist. 5 Then he poured some water into a washbasin and began to wash the disciples' feet and dry them with the towel around his waist. 6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Are you going to wash my feet, Lord?" 7 Jesus answered him, "You do not understand now what I am doing, but you will understand later." 8 Peter declared, "Never at any time will you wash my feet!"

"If I do not wash your feet," Jesus answered, "you will no longer be my disciple." 9 Simon Peter answered, "Lord, do not wash only my feet, then! Wash my hands and head, too!" 10 Jesus said, "Those who have taken a bath are completely clean and do not have to wash themselves, except for their feet. 12 After Jesus had washed their feet, he put his outer garment back on and returned to his place at the table. "Do you understand what I have just done to you?" he asked. 13 "You call me Teacher and Lord, and it is right that you do so, because that is what I am. 14 I, your Lord and Teacher, have just washed your feet. You, then, should wash one another's feet. 15 I have set an example for you, so that you will do just what I have done for you. 16 I am telling you the truth: no slaves are greater than their master, and no messengers are greater than the one who sent them. 17 Now that you know this truth, how happy you will be if you put it into practice!

Taking a Closer Look

1. What did Jesus know (13:3)?
2. If Jesus knew he had complete power, why do you think he would want to do a servant’s job?
3. Why did Peter say, “Never at any time will you wash my feet!” (13:8)
4. What was Jesus’ answer? What did he mean?
5. What does Jesus tell us to do? (13:14)
6. Does Jesus really want us to wash each other’s feet? What does he really mean?
7. How does serving others make you feel?


Taking Action

1. Think of the people you see every day. How can you serve them?
2. The Bible does not say that ALL pride is bad. How can we keep ourselves from crossing the line, from good pride to bad?

Click me for...
Chinese Translation
Past Lessons

No comments: