Lesson For The Week (Mar. 28)
Adversity
Let us give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the merciful Father, the God from whom all help comes! He helps us in all our troubles, so that we are able to help others who have all kinds of troubles, using the same help that we ourselves have received from God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
Getting Started
Adversity hits us in many different ways. It can come as an illness, the death of a loved one, betrayal from a friend, or any unexpected difficulty. None of us know when it will hit, but we all know that sooner or later, we will have to face it. Adversity can make us angry with God. We might ask questions like, “God, why are you doing this to me?” Or, “God, why won’t you help me? Why are you letting me suffer so much?”
The book Streams in the Desert says comfort is, “one of God’s most precious gifts.” But in order to have comfort we must first have pain. Is there anything good that can come from adversity? Is there any purpose behind it?
Vocabulary
adversity (n) – suffering; trouble; difficulty
betrayal (n) – the act of being false or disloyal; the breaking of a trust
comfort (n) – encouragement or help
precious (adj) – very valuable
bitter (adj) – very painful; full of bad feelings
condemn (v) – to say someone is guilty
cruel (adj) – very unkind
ignorant (adj) – lacking knowledge or education; uniformed; foolish
marvel (n) – something wonderful and unbelievable
repent (v) – to feel sorry or regret for a wrongdoing, with a desire to change
Job was a good man who believed in God and followed God’s laws. Job suffered a mountain of adversity; his children died, he lost all his money, and he became very poor and sick. Job even became angry with God, but did he ever lose his faith in God?
Job 10:1-3 and 7
Job 19: 25-27
25 But I know there is someone in heaven who will come at last to my defense. 26 Even after my skin is eaten by disease, while still in this body I will see God. 27 I will see him with my own eyes, and he will not be a stranger.
Job 38: 1-5
1 Then out of the storm the Lord spoke to Job. 2 “Who are you to question my wisdom with your ignorant, empty words? 3 Now stand up straight and answer the questions I ask you. 4 Were you there when I made the world? If you know so much, tell me about it. . .5 Do you know all the answers?”
Job 42: 2-4 and 6
2 I know, Lord, that you are all powerful; that you can do everything you want. 3 You ask how I dare question your wisdom when I am so very ignorant. I talked about things I did not understand, about marvels too great for me to know. 4 You told me to listen while you spoke and to try to answer your questions. . . 6 So I am ashamed of all I have said and repent in dust and ashes.
Job 42: 12-13 and 16-17
Taking a Closer Look
1. God said Job was “faithful and good.” (1:8) Was God punishing Job?
2. Did Job lose his faith in God? (Job 19:25-27) Where did Job find comfort?
3. How did God answer Job’s questions? (38:1-5)
4. How did Job respond to God’s answer? (42:2-6)
5. What did Job repent of? (42:2-6)
6. Put yourself in Job’s position. Can you think of anything good that came out of his pain?
7. Has anything good ever come from a painful experience you’ve had?
8. Why did Job keep his faith in God? Was it because he knew God would bless him? Or because he knew God deserved his love and trust no matter what?
Taking Action
1. Job never did fully understand why God let him suffer so much, but he was sure God loved him. How can we be sure God loves us?
2. Many times people come to God for the wrong reasons – because they want him to give them what they want. How can we be more like Job, who came to God for the right reasons?
3. How can we comfort each other in times of adversity?
Click me for...
Chinese Translation
Past Lessons

No comments:
Post a Comment