Saturday, March 17, 2007

Lesson For The Week (Mar.16)

The Source of True Love
And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love.. (1 John 4:16a)
0000
Linda Way's Story
It was my second year in college and I fell in love without knowing it. The guy I fell in love with was two years older than me. I thought he was smart, funny and kind. We enjoyed being with each other. We laughed a lot and shared deep thoughts with each other.

The only thing that bugged me was that he didn’t want to date me. He liked me. But he wasn’t ready to be in a relationship. We would just be friends. I thought to myself, “I can handle this. I can wait for him. One day he will be ready to date me and it will all be perfect.”

Throughout the year, we continued to “hang out.” In my heart, he was my boyfriend. We would go to the movies together. We’d talk on the phone a lot or cook dinners together. Those were the good days. But there were bad days, too.

The bad days were when he didn’t treat me like his girlfriend. He wouldn’t call me, or he would say mean things to me and tell me how I should change. So I worked hard to change for him. I began to lose confidence. I put a lot of my worth in this relationship and how he treated me. So on the good days, I felt attractive. On the bad days, I would slump into depression. More often, I had bad days. I felt ugly and worthless.

Then one day, he told me he stopped liking me. He said that I became like a sour taste in his mouth. My heart broke. That night, I cried out to God. And He spoke right to my heart.

“Aren’t the stars beautiful tonight?” He asked me. I looked up. I saw a black, starless night. “What stars? I don’t see any.” I said. “Yes, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there tonight. Just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they aren’t beautiful. Linda, trust in Me.”

Even though my heart was broken, I had hope because of God. He reminded me that He thinks I am beautiful even when no one else does. I had a wake-up call. I realized that I had put my worth and value in something that could change. No wonder I was left disappointed and depressed. In pursuing love, I had forgotten to go to the Source of Love. But He didn’t forget about me. His love mended my broken heart.

God is my true love. His love for me is unchanging. I am safe and affirmed in His love for me. I need to receive the Source of Love before I can give and receive love. In fact, He is the best friend I have and will ever have.

0000
God's Word
Psalm 36:5, 7:
Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. 7 How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings.
1 John 4:16a:
And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7:

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. 5 It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
John 3:16:
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Romans 5:8:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
ds000000
Download the lesson (English) - word file


http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/doc/2007/20070316_L14_TheSourceofTrueLove.doc

No comments: