Friday, March 02, 2007

Lesson For The Week (Mar. 2)

God Is Our Healer
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. (2 Corinthians 1:3, 4)
0000
Phil's Story
Growing up in school I experienced a problem of depression. I was told that some of it had been passed down to me from my mother, who had experienced the same problem. There were times in high school and college where I felt like I just wanted to give up completely. I thought about ending my own life, yes – I even thought about suicide. Fortunately, I didn’t do it. Otherwise, I would have missed the chance to come to Asia and experience a whole new chapter of my life. What kept me going? It was through discovering that God had some kind of purpose for my life.

However, in recent years, I still experienced periods of depression. After college, I’d developed chronic back problems. I could no longer enjoy sports (like basketball) that I’d always played when I was younger. This physical discomfort resulted in more mental and spiritual anguish. Sometimes I would ask God “If I’m serving you, why do I still suffer like this?” Yes, I had committed myself to working for God, but I later realized I wasn’t spending enough time with Him daily. I wasn’t spending enough time praying and reading the Bible.

In 2006, I developed a better habit of reading the Bible more regularly. I not only made more time to read it, but I also followed a more organized method. As I did so, I began to regain better perspective of my life. I started to see more of a purpose for what I was going through. At the same time, God helped me to develop a better way of caring for myself through exercise, diet, relaxation, etc. I learned to do exercises that made my back and the rest of my body stronger. My wife even helped me to update my wardrobe so I could look and feel better! Finally, I got connected with a good local church through the bilingual worship service here at Home Of Christ. This has been an important part of a physical, emotional and spiritual healing that God has been bringing in my life.

I now feel a lot stronger, more positive and confident than I did a year ago. Sure, I still feel sadness sometimes. Everybody does at times. It’s part of being human. However, what’s for certain is that I no longer spend so much time “in the pit” like I did before! My final message is: “Never give up!” God is able to bring healing. He is healing me, and I know He can do the same for you!
0000
God's Word
Jonah 2:2:
In my distress I called to the Lord, and he answered me. From the depths of the grave I called for help, and you listened to my cry.
Psalm 42:3, 5:
My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, “Where is your God?” 5 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.
Psalm 55:22:

Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.
2 Corinthians 1:3, 4:
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
ds000000
Download the lesson (English) - word file

http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/doc/2007/20070302_L12_GodIsOurHealer.doc
0
Download the lesson (English) - pdf file

http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L12_20070302e.pdf

Download the lesson (Chinese):
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L12_20070302c.pdf

Past Lessons:
http://www.ortv.com/english/ebs_c/ebs_e.htm

No comments: