Lesson For The Week (May 18)
Living to Please God
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for men.(Colossians 3:23 )
0000
Grace's Story
I used to be very shy and afraid to speak English in class. I remember one day, the teacher yelled at me, “Grace, don’t you have a mouth? Why don’t you speak English in my class?” I was shocked. I felt like I’d been picked on. That night, I cried for hours. I wished for someone who could be with me and comfort me whenever I needed help.
That summer I joined a Studio Classroom study tour to Seattle. Afterwards, I began to attend Studio Classroom’s Bible Study every Wednesday night. I admired all the teachers, particularly Doris Brougham. I felt it must be God’s love that gave them the courage to leave their own country and come to work in Taiwan. If they could devote themselves to English education in Taiwan, as a Taiwanese, I should do the same. At age 20, I determined to become an English teacher. I went to the U.S. to get a master’s degree in TESOL. While I was there, I became a Christian and was baptized.
I have taught English in Taiwan now for five years. I really enjoy teaching my students. But at my school, I must also be in charge of a lot of administrative work. I really hate administrative work! I resent having to do trivial office tasks like making copies, arranging schedules, filling out paperwork, etc. Furthermore, many teachers and staff members dodge their responsibilities, making my job harder. My school also gets many special projects from the government. I’m often the one who does all the work for these projects, but I must then share the recognition with others that didn’t do anything. I began to doubt whether there was really any fairness or justice.
In 2002, I went to see Studio Classroom’s Christmas drama called “You are Special” - a story based on Max Lucado’s book of the same title. The story was about a character called “Maliamick.” People picked on Maliamick. They gave her “black dots” because they didn’t like, or approve of, her. She went to her creator, Eli, for help. He told her that regardless of how the world evaluates you, God cherishes you just as you are. I was really touched by the drama. I realized I shouldn’t care what others think of me. I should look to my creator, God. He is the one I should please.
Through many events that have occurred in the past five years, I have grown professionally and spiritually. God has changed me to become more humble and willing to serve others. I am also learning to be bold, so I can wisely and politely reject the tasks that are beyond my job responsibilities. Saying “no” is not easy, and I am still learning how. Most importantly, I’ve found the One who can be with me all the time – in the good and the challenging times of life. That’s God!
0000
God's Word
Isaiah 41:9-10, 13:
0000
Grace's Story
I used to be very shy and afraid to speak English in class. I remember one day, the teacher yelled at me, “Grace, don’t you have a mouth? Why don’t you speak English in my class?” I was shocked. I felt like I’d been picked on. That night, I cried for hours. I wished for someone who could be with me and comfort me whenever I needed help.
That summer I joined a Studio Classroom study tour to Seattle. Afterwards, I began to attend Studio Classroom’s Bible Study every Wednesday night. I admired all the teachers, particularly Doris Brougham. I felt it must be God’s love that gave them the courage to leave their own country and come to work in Taiwan. If they could devote themselves to English education in Taiwan, as a Taiwanese, I should do the same. At age 20, I determined to become an English teacher. I went to the U.S. to get a master’s degree in TESOL. While I was there, I became a Christian and was baptized.
I have taught English in Taiwan now for five years. I really enjoy teaching my students. But at my school, I must also be in charge of a lot of administrative work. I really hate administrative work! I resent having to do trivial office tasks like making copies, arranging schedules, filling out paperwork, etc. Furthermore, many teachers and staff members dodge their responsibilities, making my job harder. My school also gets many special projects from the government. I’m often the one who does all the work for these projects, but I must then share the recognition with others that didn’t do anything. I began to doubt whether there was really any fairness or justice.
In 2002, I went to see Studio Classroom’s Christmas drama called “You are Special” - a story based on Max Lucado’s book of the same title. The story was about a character called “Maliamick.” People picked on Maliamick. They gave her “black dots” because they didn’t like, or approve of, her. She went to her creator, Eli, for help. He told her that regardless of how the world evaluates you, God cherishes you just as you are. I was really touched by the drama. I realized I shouldn’t care what others think of me. I should look to my creator, God. He is the one I should please.
Through many events that have occurred in the past five years, I have grown professionally and spiritually. God has changed me to become more humble and willing to serve others. I am also learning to be bold, so I can wisely and politely reject the tasks that are beyond my job responsibilities. Saying “no” is not easy, and I am still learning how. Most importantly, I’ve found the One who can be with me all the time – in the good and the challenging times of life. That’s God!
0000
God's Word
Isaiah 41:9-10, 13:
I brought you from the ends of the earth; I called you from its farthest corners and said to you, ‘You are my servant,’ I did not reject you, but chose you. 10 Do not be afraid – I am with you! I am your God – let nothing terrify you! I will make you strong and help you; I will protect you and save you. 13 I am the Lord your God; I strengthen you and say, ‘Do not be afraid; I will help you.’”
2 Timothy 1:7:
For the spirit that God has given us does not make us timid; instead, his Spirit fills us with power, love, and self-control.
Colossians 3:23-24:
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for men. 24 Remember that the Lord will give you as a reward what he has kept for his people. For Christ is the real Master you serve.
1 Peter 2:13-15:
For the sake of the Lord submit to every human authority: to the Emperor, who is the supreme authority, 14 and to the governors, who have been appointed by him to punish the evildoers and to praise those who do good. 15 For God wants you to silence the ignorant talk of foolish people by the good things you do.
James 4:10:
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
ds000000
Download the lesson (English) - word file
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/doc/2007/20070518_L19_LivingtoPleaseGod.doc
Download the lesson (English) - word file
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/doc/2007/20070518_L19_LivingtoPleaseGod.doc
0
Download the lesson (English) - pdf file
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L19_20070518e.pdf
Download the lesson (Chinese):
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L19_20070518c.pdf
Past Lessons:
http://www.ortv.com/english/ebs_c/ebs_e.htm
Download the lesson (English) - pdf file
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L19_20070518e.pdf
Download the lesson (Chinese):
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L19_20070518c.pdf
Past Lessons:
http://www.ortv.com/english/ebs_c/ebs_e.htm

No comments:
Post a Comment