Sunday, April 15, 2007

Lesson For The Week (Mar. 30)

God Is Our Help
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11)
0000
Gareth's Story
I experienced many challenges when growing up. My parents quarreled, and I seldom felt secure at home. Our family moved around a lot. I always had trouble making and keeping new friends.

By the time I became a teenager I was sad and angry. I hung around with bad friends, doing things that were against the law. I certainly could and should have been caught and punished for what I had been doing. My worldview back then was very dark. I was tense and hard for people to understand. I often wondered about God in the back of my mind. But I didn’t believe he was interested in helping me. Yet amazingly, I was able to graduate from high school and enter university.

In university I had some other major disappointments. I lost in two elections for student government and the student newspaper. After breaking up with a bad girlfriend I almost wanted to stop living. But fortunately I met better friends, and separated from those bad, dangerous friends. Academically I was very successful. I even had a nice, normal dating relationship with a Christian girl.

After university I moved to Taiwan. I was glad to escape my hometown and the string of bad memories. In Taiwan I started to enjoy life more. People treated me with more kindness and respect. Taiwan was a place where everything could be different. And it was! I got a job teaching English at a language school. There I met a nice local girl. (Three years later we got married.) One night I took a lonely walk in the park. Looking up into the sky, I started to speak out loud to God, though I wasn’t sure if anyone was listening. A few steps later I came across a book someone had left on a bench: the Bible.

Soon after I interviewed for a job as a writer for Studio Classroom. As a Christian company, would they hire me? I told them I believed there was a God out there somewhere, but I wasn’t yet settled in my faith. They gave me the job anyway. Less than a year later, I decided to become a Christian. I prayed and asked Jesus into my life.

As I considered my life growing up, the truth in the Bible touched me more and more. Though I’d gone through some bad times, God had somehow helped in my life over the last few years. God was refining me and preparing me for better things to come, even when I was apart from Him. I was able to learn and grow from my challenges. Today, God continues to help me. Little by little I am becoming a more gentle, patient, responsible and kind person by His grace.

0000
God's Word
Romans 8:28; 31:
We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 31 …If God is for us then who can be against us?
Genesis 50:19:
You intended me harm, but God intended it for good.
Romans 5:3-5:

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.
Matthew 13:31, 32:
He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches.”
Jeremiah 29:11:
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
ds000000
Download the lesson (English) - word file

http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/doc/2007/20070330_L16_GodIsOurHelp.doc

No comments: