Lesson For The Week (Feb. 2)
Marriage: A Gift From God
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights. (James 1:17a)
0000
Matt & Rachel's Story
Matt: I had just graduated from college and remember telling a friend, “God obviously provided me with a new job and a car; if He wants me to have a wife, He will give me one.” Less than a year later, while visiting Taiwan on business, God put Rachel right in my path.
Rachel: I came to Taiwan for two months in 1999 to student-teach at an international school in Taichung. One afternoon in April, I was writing in my journal while sitting outside in the sunshine. I had only been writing for a few minutes when a tall guy sat down next to me and started talking.
Matt: I was curious about this cute, blonde-haired girl. She didn’t want to be bothered, but was kind enough to talk to me anyway. I could tell right away that she was fun and interesting. A couple of days later, I gave her my e-mail address. Needless to say, we started communicating on a regular basis. A month later, Rachel moved back to America to teach in a public high school, and a few months after that, I moved to Taiwan. We were living on two different continents again! A relationship seemed impossible, and Rachel even started dating another guy, much to my dismay!
Rachel: I soon realized that the guy I was dating wasn’t Mr. Right. I decided to break up with him and began to wonder whether a relationship with Matt would even be possible! Amazingly, he was still interested in me, and we began communicating as much as we could. We made it a point to see each other every few months, and we e-mailed every day. But we still lived an ocean apart! After a year of dating long-distance, Matt moved to Michigan, and found a job near where I was living. We saw each other on weekends, started teaching Sunday School together, and spent time with my family and friends. It wasn’t long before we were engaged. Matt popped the question on a beautiful day in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and I said “yes!” We were married in July 2002.
Matt: For a lot of people, marriage has a bum rap. But we know firsthand that it is a wonderful thing. First of all, God created it. Have you ever thought about the fact that marriage is the oldest institution? It is older than any government or culture–even the church. Since God invented it, following His blueprint is the best plan to follow.
Rachel: A good marriage relationship doesn’t always come naturally. Sometimes we argue, but not very often. We respect each other and listen to each other. As in any relationship, it takes time and communication to grow closer to each other. But Jesus gave us an example of service, leadership, and sacrifice.
00
God's Word
Genesis 2:18, 21-24:
18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” 21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. 23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.” 24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
Ephesians 5:22, 23; 25:
22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.
Philippians 2:3:
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights. (James 1:17a)
0000
Matt & Rachel's Story
Matt: I had just graduated from college and remember telling a friend, “God obviously provided me with a new job and a car; if He wants me to have a wife, He will give me one.” Less than a year later, while visiting Taiwan on business, God put Rachel right in my path.
Rachel: I came to Taiwan for two months in 1999 to student-teach at an international school in Taichung. One afternoon in April, I was writing in my journal while sitting outside in the sunshine. I had only been writing for a few minutes when a tall guy sat down next to me and started talking.
Matt: I was curious about this cute, blonde-haired girl. She didn’t want to be bothered, but was kind enough to talk to me anyway. I could tell right away that she was fun and interesting. A couple of days later, I gave her my e-mail address. Needless to say, we started communicating on a regular basis. A month later, Rachel moved back to America to teach in a public high school, and a few months after that, I moved to Taiwan. We were living on two different continents again! A relationship seemed impossible, and Rachel even started dating another guy, much to my dismay!
Rachel: I soon realized that the guy I was dating wasn’t Mr. Right. I decided to break up with him and began to wonder whether a relationship with Matt would even be possible! Amazingly, he was still interested in me, and we began communicating as much as we could. We made it a point to see each other every few months, and we e-mailed every day. But we still lived an ocean apart! After a year of dating long-distance, Matt moved to Michigan, and found a job near where I was living. We saw each other on weekends, started teaching Sunday School together, and spent time with my family and friends. It wasn’t long before we were engaged. Matt popped the question on a beautiful day in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and I said “yes!” We were married in July 2002.
Matt: For a lot of people, marriage has a bum rap. But we know firsthand that it is a wonderful thing. First of all, God created it. Have you ever thought about the fact that marriage is the oldest institution? It is older than any government or culture–even the church. Since God invented it, following His blueprint is the best plan to follow.
Rachel: A good marriage relationship doesn’t always come naturally. Sometimes we argue, but not very often. We respect each other and listen to each other. As in any relationship, it takes time and communication to grow closer to each other. But Jesus gave us an example of service, leadership, and sacrifice.
00
God's Word
Genesis 2:18, 21-24:
18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” 21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. 23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.” 24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
Ephesians 5:22, 23; 25:
22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.
Philippians 2:3:
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
James 1:17:
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
ds000000
Download the lesson (English) - word file
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/doc/2007/20070202_L10_MarriageIsaGiftFromGod.doc
0
Download the lesson (English) - pdf file
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L10_20070202e.pdf
Download the lesson (Chinese):
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L10_20070202c.pdf
Past Lessons:
http://www.ortv.com/english/ebs_c/ebs_e.htm
ds000000
Download the lesson (English) - word file
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/doc/2007/20070202_L10_MarriageIsaGiftFromGod.doc
0
Download the lesson (English) - pdf file
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L10_20070202e.pdf
Download the lesson (Chinese):
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L10_20070202c.pdf
Past Lessons:
http://www.ortv.com/english/ebs_c/ebs_e.htm

No comments:
Post a Comment