Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Lesson For The Week (Dec. 9)

Jesus Is the Savior
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. (John 8:36)
0000
Philip's Story
Not long after I got married, I became addicted to drugs. I told myself I could quit, but the truth was—I couldn’t. The more I took drugs the stronger the desire became. I wasted much of my family’s money supporting my habit. Even worse, I was emotionally out of control. Unfortunately, my wife and children were often the victims of my anger.
0
One night, I overdosed and lost control. Holding my daughter, I waved a kitchen knife and threatened to kill my family. The next day, Wendy and my daughters were gone. At work, my boss found out I was taking drugs and fired me. My drug addiction had caused me to lose my family and job.
0
Soon after, Doris Brougham, the founder of ORTV, where Wendy worked, prevented me from seeing my family unless I went to a Christian drug rehabilitation center in Hualian. I didn’t want to go, but there was nothing else I could do. I wanted to see Wendy and my girls again so badly.
0
I missed my family so much. I would often go for walks in the bamboo forest near the center. Once, on one of these walks, I became overwhelmed with homesickness. My sadness felt like a heavy burden pressing down on my chest. Suddenly, I heard the Lord say: “Do not fear! I love you.” At that moment, I was set free. I realized I had hope in Jesus. I could change! With God’s help, I could beat my drug addiction and be reunited with my family.
0
I began to attend the worship service held at the center. Every time I thought of my family, I prayed to God: “Make me into a good husband and father.”
0
One day, four months later, my family came to see me. I can still remember when I first saw Wendy. She was standing at a distance, holding the two children by her side. She was so tiny, yet her hands held the children firmly. I was reminded of her firm commitment to our wedding vows. Nearly everyone had advised her to divorce me. But she firmly believed that I could change. After a year I had, and I returned home. That was eight years ago. Since then, Wendy and I have experienced many difficulties, but—hand in hand—we’ve gotten through them together. I am so thankful to God. He gave me my family back. He used people like Doris Brougham and those at the center to turn my life around. I had been a slave to drugs, and ruined my life because of it. But God saved me. God can also save you—if you give him the chance.

00
God's Word
Romans 7:18, 24-25:
18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.
John 8:34-36:

34 I tell you the truth; everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
Philippians 4:13:

I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
2 Corinthians 7:10:
Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.
00000
Download the lesson (English) - word file

http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/doc/2006/20061208_L4_JesusIstheSavior.doc
0
Download the lesson (English) - pdf file

http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2006/20061209_e.pdf

Download the lesson (Chinese):
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2006/20061209_c.pdf

Past Lessons:
http://www.ortv.com/english/ebs_c/ebs_e.htm

No comments: