Monday, November 19, 2007

Lesson For The Week (Nov. 23)

Contentment
16 Be joyful always, 17 pray at all times, 18 be thankful in all circumstances. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Getting Started

Are you content with your life? Why or why not?

Studies show that people in poorer countries tend to be more content than people in richer countries. If this is true, then money is obviously not the secret to contentment. No matter how much we have, there always seems to be something we want and can’t get. Contentment does not mean having everything we want, or even everything we need. Contentment is being happy with what you have and who you are.


Vocabulary
contentment (n) – being happy and satisfied with the way things are
tend (v) – to be likely to react or behave in a certain way
secret (n) – the key or the way to get something
ailment (n) – sickness or injury
grace (n) – undeserved kindness
persecution (n) – bad treatment of people because of what they believe or who they are
religion (n) – one’s belief and way of worship

ruin (n) – complete destruction

Reading God’s Word
Paul was a missionary who took God’s word to many people. During his travels, he was sometimes sick or hungry. He was put in prison a few times. Sometimes people tried to kill him. He was even shipwrecked – three times! But Paul was content with his life.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
If you could change something about your life what would it be? Paul prayed for something in his life to be changed. But, God had other plans!
7 But to keep me from being puffed up with pride because of the many wonderful things I saw, I was given a painful physical ailment, which acts as Satan's messenger to beat me and keep me from being proud. 8 Three times I prayed to the Lord about this and asked him to take it away. 9 But his answer was: "My grace is all you need, for my power is greatest when you are weak." I am most happy, then, to be proud of my weaknesses, in order to feel the protection of Christ's power over me. 10 I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and difficulties for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
00
Philippians 4:12-13
Are you satisfied with the things you have? Do you sometimes want more? Do you sometimes wish you had less?
12 I know what it is to be in need and what it is to have more than enough. I have learned this secret, so that anywhere, at any time, I am content, whether I am full or hungry, whether I have too much or too little. 13 I have the strength to face all conditions by the power that Christ gives me. .

1 Timothy 6:6-10
6 Well, religion does make us very rich, if we are satisfied with what we have. 7 What did we bring into the world? Nothing! What can we take out of the world? Nothing! 8 So then, if we have food and clothes, that should be enough for us. 9 But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and are caught in the trap of many foolish and harmful desires, which pull them down to ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a source of all kinds of evil. Some have been so eager to have it that they have wandered away from the faith and have broken their hearts with many sorrows.
00
Taking a Closer Look
1. What did Paul do when he wanted something changed in his life? (2 Corinthians 12:8)
2. What was God’s answer to Paul’s prayer? How can God’s power be greatest when we are weak? (2 Corinthians 12:9)
3. Why was Paul happy and proud of his weaknesses? (2 Corinthians 12:9)
4. Why do you think God doesn’t want us to be too strong or too confident in ourselves? What could be dangerous about that?
5. How do you think Paul could be content if he was hungry? (Philippians 4:12)
6. Do you think you would be content if you didn’t have enough? WatWh What if you had too much?
7. What are some “foolish and harmful desires” that come with wanting to be rich? (1 Timothy 6:6-10)
8. Why should we be satisfied with what we have? Does this mean we shouldn’t work toward goals and dreams for the future?
9. Paul showed us that we can be content if we have a lot or if we have nothing. Where does true contentment come from?


Taking Action
1. Think about all the good things in your life - your family, your friends and other blessings that you have. Remember to be grateful for these things.
2. Think of some ways to help your friends, family, and others in need. Helping others takes your mind off your problems. It can help you feel content with who you are and what you have.

No comments: