Thursday, February 08, 2007

Lesson For The Week (Feb. 9)

God Is Our Creator
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (Psalm 139:14)
0000
Campbell's Story
Growing up, I was always a little different from all the other kids. First of all, I was a Chinese boy in a mostly white neighborhood. Second, I was smaller than most of the other kids. Third, my name, Campbell, was different from all the other kids’ names. Because of all these things, I was an easy target for the kids at school. When the kids wanted someone to pick on, it was usually me. Because of this I grew up having a very low opinion of myself. I didn’t like that I was short. I was embarrassed to be Chinese. I thought my nose was too big. And I hated my name. As I grew older, I did what I could to change the things I didn’t like about myself. I tried to buy nice clothes and have nice haircuts. I dyed my hair. I even considered getting plastic surgery. I thought, if I could change the way I look then people would like me. And I would be happy. But none of this really helped. Even though I looked different on the outside, inside I still felt ugly.

Thankfully, God brought a book into my life called, The Purpose Driven Life. In the book, the author talks about how God created each of us for a purpose. He planned out every moment of our lives. He even planned the way we would look. He chose our parents and custom made us just the way he wanted us. I was amazed. God chose to make me the way I am. It wasn’t a mistake. In fact he has a purpose for it. And if God went through all that trouble to make me, then there must be something special about me.

After reading that book, my perspective of myself changed. I started to realize that all these things that I didn’t like about myself actually were good things. Being Chinese, I can relate to the people of Taiwan better. And they feel more comfortable talking to me. Being small is nice, too. I don’t have to worry about hitting my head on anything. And my name is really special. It makes me unique. Sometimes I still struggle. I look in the mirror and I don’t like what I see. But whenever I feel like that, I stop myself. I try to find the positives in the things I don’t like. And I thank God for being my creator. He made me for a special purpose. And there is a special reason I look the way I look. So instead of complaining, I try to be thankful. And I try to use who I am to bless others. Big nose and all!
0000
God's Word
Psalm 139:13-16:
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
Genesis 1:27; 31a:
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. 31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.
Isaiah 46:3b, 4:

I [the Lord] have upheld you since you were conceived, and have carried since your birth. 4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
1 Corinthians 8:6:
For us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.
ds000000
Download the lesson (English) - word file

http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/doc/2007/20070209_L11_GodIsOurCreator.doc
0
Download the lesson (English) - pdf file

http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L11_20070209e.pdf

Download the lesson (Chinese):
http://www.ortv.com/chinese/ebs_c/pdf/2007/L11_20070209c.pdf

Past Lessons:
http://www.ortv.com/english/ebs_c/ebs_e.htm

No comments: